Re: [emms-help] emms problems

From: Dieter Deyke
Subject: Re: [emms-help] emms problems
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:58:15 -0700

Jorgen Schaefer <address@hidden> writes:

> Dieter Deyke <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I have found 2 problems running emms on my windows xp pro sp2 machine:
>>
>> 1) emms-add-m3u-playlist cannot load an m3u playlist file with windows
>>    line termination (\r\n). My guess is that this is caused by the
>>    line
>>
>>      (insert-file-contents-literally playlist)
>>
>>    which will insert \r literally
>
> Thanks!
>
>> 2) emms seems to be unable to play tracks which contain umlauts (chars
>>    in the range 0x80-0xff).
>
> If you change the line above to (insert-file-contents playlist) -
> that is, removing the -literally - does it work?
>
>>    For example emms-add-directory-tree will find a file with the
>>    name
>>
>>      n:/Fetenhits - Schlager CD2/Dorthe - Wärst Du doch in Düsseldorf
>> geblieben.mp3
>>
>>    but emms will pass a different string to the player
>
> With that song - are you sure it's a bug and not a feature? *8)
>
> Greetings,
>         -- Jorgen

Hmmm, sorry, I did not even try before sending out my first mail. No,
removing the -literally did not help, I still get ^M appended in the
*Playlist* buffer, and the tracks cannot be played.

For the second problem, I am sure that there are some songs with
umlauts in their file names which are worth playing, so I still think
it should be fixed. But I have no idea on how to start to fix it
myself.

Since these two problems are so visible on a windows machine my guess
is that the developers of emms are not using windows. Is there
anything I can contribute as a windows user?

Thanks,
--
Dieter Deyke
mailto:address@hidden mailto:address@hidden mailto:address@hidden