Re: [Freeipmi-users] Tyan Thunder S2882 with m3289 bmc module

From: Albert Chu
Subject: Re: [Freeipmi-users] Tyan Thunder S2882 with m3289 bmc module
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:50:15 -0800

Hi Jan,

> - I see md2/md5; is the password hashed by default ?

It depends on the version of ipmipower that you are using.  With
FreeIPMI 1.3, the default was cleartext passwords.  So to use md2/md5,
you'd have to specify an alternate authtype to ipmipower (i.e.
--authtype md2).  You'd also have to ensure the remote BMC is configured
to allow md2/md5 authentication too.

With the newer version in CVS, I have it automated to use the most
secure (md5 more secure than md2, md2 more than cleartext) mechanism
available from the remote BMC.

> - can someone change the passwords of the user accounts via an ipmi
> tool(like bmc-config) ?

By "user", I assume a non-root user?  In terms of in-band use, you need
to be root to use bmc-config.  In terms of out of band use, I believe
the accounts can be changed if someone connects to the BMC with
administrator privileges.

Hope that answers your questions,