Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Priyesh kumar
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 00:43:12 +0530

Hi,

Throughout this week I have integrated dlg with FreeType and I was able to achieve the following goals:
1. Use dlg APIs to handle FreeType logs
2. Added functions to set/reset the trace levels of components of FreeType.
3. Added Callback functions to set/unset the external function to handle FreeType logs.

Changes could be seen in my branch named: priyesh_LogLibrary
link: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/log/?h=priyesh_LogLibrary

Therefore, after the above additions, a user should be able to:
1. See trace/error logs in a file named freetype2.log after enabling a macro FT_LOGGING at configure time.
2. Set desired trace levels and reset to default trace levels (passed via FT2_DEBUG env) at run-time.
3. Set a custom logging function to handle trace/error logs outside FreeType and reset it back to the default procedure.
The functionalities mentioned in point 2 and 3 could be achieved by using the functions provided in header file
freetype/ftlogging.h (User needs to #include this header file)

But, I am facing a problem with printing FT_COMPONENT and Time-Stamp along with log messages part...
The problem is that this extra information is printed every time there is a call to dlg's API to handle trace/error logs.
I have attached a log file related to this problem.
I am working on this but in the meantime, if I could get some suggestions it would be very helpful...

Please guide me.
Thanks,
Priyesh

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 11:39 PM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> I have updated the progress report for this week @ here
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X5ApmVxz0pXcGUCF9Um5VhVZV403LWDIYFbKYg1aLoQ/edit?usp=sharing>
> It contains a brief description of all the useful APIs provided by
> dlg

Thanks, looks promising.  If you are going to import the 'dlg' files I
suggest that you put the necessary files into

  src/dlg

(in your personal branch of FreeType's git repository).

    Werner