Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 12:02:19 +0200 (CEST)

>> Of course.  Please send a separate patch for these fixed so that I
>> can apply it to master directly.
>
> Ok, I will provide you the patch once done...

Thanks.

>> Very nice!  Do you have some data how large the slowdown is due to
>> the additional code?
>
> No, As I haven't done software profiling before this...  But I will
> try it and provide you the required data...

:-)

>> I want
>>  [stream] ...
>
> It is indeed possible...  dlg uses a feature flag (where user can
> provide different features joined using the binary OR operator) to
> control what needs to be printed along with actual log message (Time
> Stamp, Tags, etc).  Therefore we could check if `show_modules`
> string is present in the `FT2_DEBUG` env and update the flag
> accordingly.

OK.

> But, we cannot remove curly braces enclosing FT_COMPONENT as I am
> using dlg_tags to print the FT_COMPONENT value and it is the default
> way of dlg to output tags.  Therefore, we could make Time Stamp and
> FT_COMPONENT toggleable based on strings passed in `FT2_DEBUG` env
> but cannot change the way in which they are printed.

Oh yes, you can!  Either you modify the source code of 'dlg' within
FreeType, or – which is better IMHO – you submit a feature request or
patch to the 'dlg' maintainers that allows control of the '{' and '}'
characters for marking tags.  I see no reason why this must be
hard-coded.

    Werner