Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Priyesh kumar
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 14:08:32 +0530

> Of course.  Please send a separate patch for these fixed so that I can
> apply it to master directly.

Ok, I will provide you the patch once done...

> Very nice!  Do you have some data how large the slowdown is due to the
> additional code?

No,
As I haven't done software profiling before this...
But I will try it and provide you the required data...

> Now let's pretend I'm Joe User, and I want a different logging format.
> Instead of having
> [12:03:56 {stream}] ...
> I want
>  [stream] ...
> What must be done?  [Actually, this is the default format I want to
> have if the `FT2_DEBUG` environment variable contains the string
> `show_modules` (or `-v`, or whatever; this isn't implemented yet).]

It is indeed possible...
dlg uses a feature flag(where user can provide different features joined using the binary OR operator)
to control what needs to be printed along with actual log message(Time Stamp, Tags, etc).
Therefore we could check if `show_modules` string is present in the `FT2_DEBUG` env and update the
flag accordingly.
But, we cannot remove curly braces enclosing FT_COMPONENT as I am using dlg_tags to print the
FT_COMPONENT value and it is the default way of dlg to output tags.
Therefore, we could make Time Stamp and FT_COMPONENT toggleable based on strings passed in `FT2_DEBUG` env
but cannot change the way in which they are printed.

Thanks,
Priyesh

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 1:01 PM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> I have added some changes to produce the desired output using the
> previous approach specified by you.  With this approach, I have to
> make very little changes in some FT_TRACE calls for better
> indentation.  Would that be OK with you?

Of course.  Please send a separate patch for these fixed so that I can
apply it to master directly.

> I am attaching a log file generated by the ftview.c demo program
> representing the new changes...

Very nice!  Do you have some data how large the slowdown is due to the
additional code?

Now let's pretend I'm Joe User, and I want a different logging format.
Instead of having

  [12:03:56 {stream}] ...

I want

  [stream] ...

What must be done?  [Actually, this is the default format I want to
have if the `FT2_DEBUG` environment variable contains the string
`show_modules` (or `-v`, or whatever; this isn't implemented yet).]

    Werner