RE: Logging Library-GSOC

From: armin
Subject: RE: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 09:32:15 +0100

> Since debugging isn't time critical it might be necessary to add an additional
> step that scans tracing messages for newline characters, then massaging the
> output by inserting the time stamp.  In other words, all occurrences of
>
>   `\n`
>
> should be replaced with
>
>   `\n[time stamp] `
>
> or something similar.

This would print wrong-ish timestamps that couldn't really be used for
profiling (I mean, it could; you just have to know which timestamp belongs to
which message).  I would suggest to rather store a flag after reading `\n` and
attach the timestamp to the following message.  Also, I would believe that
`fmt[strlen(fmt) - 1] == '\n'` is rather fast, esp. given that this is followed
by an IO operation.  To be tested though :)

Writing this lead me to look for multi-linebreak traces (e.g.
src/pcf/pfcread.c:504) -- should that have one timestamp for the entire
statement or one timestamp per line?

Armin