Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Priyesh kumar
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 18:51:20 +0530

> I thought of
>  [<component>] ...
> where <component> is the value given in the `FT_COMPONENT` macro,
> padded with spaces to ensure a uniform width.  Example:
>  [cffdriver] ...
>  [psconv   ] ...
>  [sfobjs   ] ...
> However, this should be freely adjustable – thus my request to make
> `{` and `}` configurable in the 'dlg' library.

Ok

> What do you mean with 'toggle'?

In one of the previous mail, you mentioned that you wanted to print FT_COMPONENTS along with
actual log message only when there is some string present in the FT2_DEBUG env variable.
Therefore, I wanted to ask about what exactly do you have in your mind about controlling this behaviour, so that I
could try to implement it...

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 6:31 PM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

>> Oh yes, you can!  Either you modify the source code of 'dlg' within
>> FreeType, or – which is better IMHO – you submit a feature request
>> or patch to the 'dlg' maintainers that allows control of the '{'
>> and '}' characters for marking tags.  I see no reason why this must
>> be hard-coded.
>
> Ok, I will talk to the dlg's maintainer about this,

Thanks.

> but in the meantime could you provide me the format in which you
> want the log messages to be printed.

I thought of

  [<component>] ...

where <component> is the value given in the `FT_COMPONENT` macro,
padded with spaces to ensure a uniform width.  Example:

  [cffdriver] ...
  [psconv   ] ...
  [sfobjs   ] ...

However, this should be freely adjustable – thus my request to make
`{` and `}` configurable in the 'dlg' library.

> Along with this, please share your thoughts on how you want to
> toggle the TimeStamp and FT_COMPONENT features...

What do you mean with 'toggle'?

    Werner