Re: [Gnumed-devel] Printing forms

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Printing forms
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 12:02:54 +0100

> We may need to have a 'calibration' page, printing two dots at logical
> postions
We must !! It may not even be sufficient to have just one.
Print margins can vary from mode to mode (ESC/P2, PS, PCL, IBM
ProPrinter, ...) depending on what the printer supports. At
least one for graphics mode and one for text mode is needed.

This should even be integrated into GnuMed as "calibrate
printer" where the user prints the calibration page(s) and
enters his measurements. This should be easy as de-alignment
_does_ happen in mid-work due to inexplicable reasons.

Related to that is that form-printing presses aren't
pixel-precise, either ! Top and left margins change frequently
rather than not... :-(  Thus we'd need a nice little dialog
where per-form margin adjustion is made easy. I've seen this
far too often.

> Also, a change to a form has to be updated to each client.
Please, please, never change a form definition !! Only ever
add/make obsolete previously existing/working forms. I am
frustrated no end by the fact that our current expensive
system is unable to display several large forms that are older
than 1-2 years due to changes in the form definitions.