Re: [Gnumed-devel] Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommende

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommended for GnuMed?
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 15:53:44 -0400

Stay away from anything RPM (Redhat, Mandrake, Suse). I hate RPM because upgrading is difficult. When I used to use Mandrake for 3 versions, each time a new version came out I had to do a clean install.

With Debian and Gentoo you only have to install fresh once. Then after that just upgrade individual packages. I find gentoo packages to be far less buggy than Debian packages. As far as security updates go, with gentoo they can be released virtually instantaneously. All Python packages are available. Any that weren't available when I started using gentoo, I created and submitted to the gentoo project myself. Good luck getting any packages into debian if you're not a debian developer. The IT people would have to know what they are doing to install it. If they know what they are doing, it's easy. If they don't, tell them to install Debian (although this can be challenging as well).

I still need to work on gentoo packages for gnumed. I hit a wall a while ago and now my thesis is looming... Eventually it will happen.

David

Jim Busser wrote:

I realize I may be opening a can of worms here, but I am in the process of getting a server set up, which the local IT people are happy to set up under either Windows (egad!) or Linux.

Assuming Linux to be the only "smart / safe / wise " choice, which factor should weigh heaviest or win out among:

- use whatever distro the local IT people are most familiar with, or
- are there specific distros to avoid (maybe Mandrake as it may be subsumed by Red Hat) and / or - is Debian preferred, on the basis of GNU license adherence or other factors