Re: [Gnumed-devel] Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommende

From: richard terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommended for GnuMed?
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:24:37 +1000

Just to be different let me say I've been using ARCH linux for some months in preference to Debian. Over the years I've tried, Suse, Mandrake, Redhat, Gentoo, various Debian flavours and much to my surprise have felt most comfortable with ARCH which has given me the least trouble in regard to dependencies - less even than Debian - which in my hands still managed to get screwed up.

But, I'm out on a limb with that one I guess, so Debian is most likely the best for most people.

Regards

Richard

Jim Busser wrote:

I realize I may be opening a can of worms here, but I am in the process of getting a server set up, which the local IT people are happy to set up under either Windows (egad!) or Linux.

Assuming Linux to be the only "smart / safe / wise " choice, which factor should weigh heaviest or win out among:

- use whatever distro the local IT people are most familiar with, or
- are there specific distros to avoid (maybe Mandrake as it may be subsumed by Red Hat) and / or - is Debian preferred, on the basis of GNU license adherence or other factors