[Gnumed-devel] Re: Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommende

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommended for GnuMed?
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:44:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> For end-users I guess Debian will be an excellent choice since Andreas is
> working hard to build packages. I believe in some not so distant time all you
> need to install Gnumed on Debian is going to be 'apt-get install gnumed'
I hope so even if I'm way behind my scedule with the packages.  I was traveling
around for the general idea of Custom Debian Distributions which Debian-Med
is only one of.  (The good news is that we got even nice enhancements for
Debian-Med in general and thus a GnuMed workstation will be moved nearer to
reality than it was before.)

> There is however apt4rpm as well so I see no reason apart from someone doing
> it while you couldn't 'apt-get install gnumed' on any rpm-based distro like
> Suse or Redhat.
To clarify this: There is apt4rpm and I do not use nor know it but my knowledge
about apt4rpm is that it is FOR RPM at the name says.  That means you need RPMs
first and then you can use it so Debian packages are of no use here - except you
would like to use alien.  But this all might go much more into the detail a
beginner who is asking for a distribution might want to hear.

> Let's see where this thread will take us :-)
The strange thing is that normally the suggestion is:

     Debian for Servers
     SuSE/RedHat/Mandrake for Clients

Sebastian did it the other way around. ;-)

My general suggestion is simple: Just use the distribution which your best
friend
next to you is using.  He will help you in case of trouble.  Moreover try to
avoid
distributions flamewars (surely your own distribution is the best but avoid to
tell this to other people ;-) ).

Kind regards

      Andreas.