Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recomm

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommended for GnuMed?
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:35:03 -0700

Although Karsten and Sebastian are satisfied with SUSE (and it is what my local IT people have contemplated installing) I am wondering whether for a "fresh / from scratch" installation that doctors will actually use, it is better to recommend Debian?

I am wondering the above, ignoring any biases Andrea could be expected, on these additional grounds:

1. Debian is the distro more likely to achieve and maintain a full set of packaging (whether because of Andreas - with thanks - or whether because of the state of Debian or the way the project is run)

2. The IT support people that are available to future GnuMed users will vary in their expertise at installing from source. Even when they are ABLE to do it, they will post-install have to do configuration that may have already been done for them, had they gone with the installer (costing the doctor more time and support $)

3. Unless any documentation of how to install from source is kept synchronized with what is done by the packages, it will be possible to introduce (unnecessary) variances that will bog things down as people try to help installation X figure out why it does not run or is behaving oddly.

Does the above make a case for installation from a debian package being preferable to downloading and installing from source?

Should it be easy, and advantageous, to advocate for IT people to download, examine and learn from a debian package as an alternative or adjunct to installing from source if for some reason installing from source is a good idea?