Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recomm

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommended for GnuMed?
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 08:24:38 -0700

On May 31, 2004, at 4:46 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:

Should it be easy, and advantageous, to advocate for IT people to
download, examine and learn from a debian package as an alternative or
adjunct to installing from source if for some reason installing from
source is a good idea?
What do you mean by "learn from a Debian package"?

I meant that if a doctor's local IT support people have Debian installed but ordinarily prefer to install application software from source, or are not using Debian, or if the state of the CVS updating makes it desirable over a package, in any of these cases there exists additional "information value" in or from the package, for example where the various resources need to go, how various packages within need to be configured, etc.

Also not clear to me (early in my learning ) is any mutual exclusivity between running from a Debian package vs from CVS. For example would a version of GnuMed contained within the package (once it is set up to run) be configured somewhat differently to GnuMed from source. In that case, having installed from a Debian package, it becomes difficult or complicated to update using the CVS? I am thinking for example any fixes should be important before the next package has been prepared.

Also are the Debian packages likely to be only for fresh installations? Or if, for example, any of the database structures or other files should change in a way that they should not simply over-write the old ones, would scripts required for correct updating be part of the CVS, and / or need to be prepared for - - - and be included in - - - each new package?

All of this IMNO (i my naive opinion) becomes important if people begin to try to use one part of the program while others work on other parts of the program that may interact. One would hate for example to lose or corrupt useful data (even if it is test data) on account of something being updated.