Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed installation problem (Mac OS 10.3 )

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed installation problem (Mac OS 10.3 )
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:52:02 +0200

> Does other core code require a parallel modification, for when GnuMed
> is in future not run from CVS?
No, not any core code, AFAICT. But gnumed.sh does.

> Is it quite possible that this platform specific variation
> - should be unnecessary
Yes and no. I would assume that the developers split python
and pythonw as some sort of high-level priviledge separation
where python isn't intended to ever access the graphics
subsystem thereby avoiding to need priviledges for that.

> - slipped into wxpython by accident
It doesn't have to do with wxWidgets, I should think. It's the
same situation on Windows, BTW. There's another difference:
python will work on Win but will require a terminal window to
be open while pythonw will start as a GUI process not needing
a terminal window.

> - is worth asking its maintainers to reconcile?
It would be worth to get better behaviour but we won't get
just by asking kindly.