[Gnumed-devel] low Performance

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] low Performance
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 17:42:45 +0200

Hi all,

just to give some more data on the follow-up issues: I tried hherb.com as
remote database, with no difference in performance. Seems that the bottleneck
is not in the backend but in the data transmission. I dont know if the low
upload bandwidth of my ASDL line is to blame - maybe someone with a fast
internet uplink should try to reproduce the results.
What this time really shocked me was the even changing the patient takes about
30-40 seconds. It seems that there are a lot of widgets reloading there
contents even when not displayed.

If the large number of single SQL-queries caused by business object initiation
is in fact the reason for this delay, then it might be more efficient to move
more logic from business objects to the backend. One could as well try to fetch
a larger but more fuzzy junk of patient related data in some backend method and
do the selection of needed data in the business objects.
It is also quite obvious that caching or even preloading patient data (from
waiting room list) could boost performance. Right now changing a patient
removes all data of the former one.

Maybe some points are really post-0.1 issues, on the other hand we shouldn't
implement algorithms that are known to be lowering perfomance. Telling a new
user that he could try the public db but should not wonder if it is awfully
slow could lead to rather unpleasant first encounters with gnumed.

Hilmar