Re: [Gnumed-devel] low Performance

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] low Performance
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 11:30:04 +1000

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 09:04, Ian Haywood wrote:
> Ideally, all DB communication should be done by a background thread, so the
> user can start typing notes etc. while stuff is loading. I'm not sure about
> the best way to implement this yet.

This is what we have asynchronous backend communication for.
1.) a complex / time consuming query is initiated asynchronously on the server
2.) when ready, the server notifies the client that he can fetch the data now
3.) Ideally, we'll have a xml-rpc service or similar on the backend that
pre-processes all data on the server in exactly the way the client wants it,
and delivers that data then. Despite the xml overhead we can still archive
less network traffic and better performance that way. We could even get rid
of the pypgsql dependency (and mxDateTime dependency) on the client side that
way.

Horst