Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP widget navigation

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP widget navigation
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:47:53 -0700

A few functional and data-storage-related clarifications:

Beliefs:

- within the SOAP text, a "new line" is not the same as a new row/record, because a "new line" can have value within a single row to support multiple paragraphs and point form. Essentially paragraph marks which along with tabs I imagine the postgres field type will store (?)

- we have already determined that we want a way to be able to jump from whatever is the current location of the cursor (which could be within rather than at the end of a paragraph e.g. a person mouse clicked within to insert a few words

- we may need a way to create / support extra rows of soap_cat = one of {s,o,a,p} . While I doubt I would create a SSOOAP note, Karsten's design has so far not disallowed it and I wonder if a raîson d'être for such rows could relate to flagging/ unflagging a row as RFE or AOE, or to permit post-hoc addition of data if for some reason it is desired to add a row, instead of modifying a row created at an earlier session at the computer

- Return key functions as a paragraph mark, Enter serves to jump to the next SOAP line - Return and Enter keys function the same, both inserting a paragraph mark OR (if the keypress is preceded by a specified character yet to be decided (like ";" or "|") either key will jump to the next SOAP line - maybe the Return and Enter keys further serve to accept the in-line popup secondary editors whereas to dismiss them one just keeps typing; in the case of a user wishing to end the current SOAP line and move to the next while a popup is offered (so Enter will not here do what is wanted) would they just press *any* key such as a period to end a sentence, an end-of-line character or ";" or "|" or maybe even just the Shift key if no more characters are wanted?

- to permit / support a new *row* do we accept either of Ctrl-Return or Ctrl-Enter - essentially, is there a view that Return and Enter should always function the same as the value of differential function risks being outweighed by confusing the user?