Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP widget navigation

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP widget navigation
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:19:31 +0200

> Some database field types accept only numerics, only alpha etc. I was
> just assuming (trusting) that the postgres
> field type "text" accepts any and all character/codes
No, some characters must be escaped.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/sql-syntax.html#SQL-SYNTAX-STRINGS

As a general rule: Any printable character is storable as is,
' and \ need to be escaped.

> for example if
> someone would for some reason input option-tab or shift-return to input
> "soft" values as may be useful for later defining formatting (and
> assuming that the programming has not already assigned some over-riding
> function to such combinations), would they be preserved?
I would expect ASCII formatted text to come back out of the
database the way I put it in. If I write

S: a line
yet another line
    and yet another one with tab in front

I would expect this "layout" to be preserved. I have certainly
not done anything to destroy it anywhere in the schema or
middleware. In fact, I often use the above scheme for ordering
my case notes.

> On the Mac, the key above the right-hand "shift" key is labeled
> "return".
> The key at the bottom right corner of the numeric keypad is labeled
> "enter".
Ah !  The Return key doesn't have a verbal name on my
keyboard, just a sign. The Enter key is there, too.

> It is possible for them to function differently though the default is
> not.
> It is likely simplest to keep them bound to the same actions /
> functions.
I agree.