Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: using dbconfig-common in gnumed

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: using dbconfig-common in gnumed
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:00:42 +1100

sean finney wrote:

if you're talking about upgrades, they're done in sorted order based on
the version.
No, the collection of .sql scripts for inital installation: bar.sql refers to tables created in foo.sql, so it must run afterwards. I suppose we could have a central gnumed.sql
which contains just a sequence of \i foo/foo.sql commands

something that you may not know is that dbconfig-common stores its
parameters not in debconf (which would generally be bad practice for
data of this sort), but in /bin/sh syntax config files, in /etc/dbconfig-common/$package.config. i've attached an example config
file for reference.
OK, that's good. You're still using debconf to ask these config questions though?

if you want to use a bootstrapping script due to its cross distro
nature,
Not really, my main aim is to move maintenance of bootstrapping scripts from us to you ;-)

also, if you have any feedback on this package, i'd be very
interested in hearing it, since it's still very developmental in
nature.
 Thanks for answering my Cc:
My $0.02: guarantee to execute .sqls in alphabetical order (then we can name them like /etc/rcX.d/ links to enforce ordering for those scripts for which it matters (only a few)