[Gnumed-devel] Re: using dbconfig-common in gnumed

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: using dbconfig-common in gnumed
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:56:32 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Ian Haywood wrote:

No, the collection of .sql scripts for inital installation: bar.sql refers to tables created in foo.sql, so it must run afterwards. I suppose we could have a central gnumed.sql
which contains just a sequence of \i foo/foo.sql commands
To make something clear: dbconfig-common does a lot of interesting stuff
for generalizing the installation of any database containing package and
thus is a great help for Debian developers.  What it does not is to
organize a sequence in which SQL files are imported into the database.
It just relays on either a simple flat SQL file or a bootstrap script
(as it is provided for instance by GnuMed).  (Sean, please correct me
if I underestimate your work.)

OK, that's good. You're still using debconf to ask these config questions though?
Yes.  This would leave the question if it might make sense to port debconf
to other systems, but I doubt that this is worth the effort only to install
GnuMed.

if you want to use a bootstrapping script due to its cross distro
nature,
Not really, my main aim is to move maintenance of bootstrapping scripts from us to you ;-)
:)
You should care for Debian world domination first but I doubt that making
GnuMed dependant from Debian is the right way to approach this. ;-)

My $0.02: guarantee to execute .sqls in alphabetical order (then we can name them like /etc/rcX.d/ links to enforce ordering for those scripts for which it matters (only a few)
This might be a *very* clever idea anyway because it would drastically reduce
the maintainance effort!  Somethink like

    <number>_<name>.sql

comes into mind which would enable things like

    for sql in `ls *.sql | sort` ; do
        psql $sql
    done
    for sql in `ls country.specific/${gmlocale}/*.sql | sort` ; do
        psql $sql
    done

would reduce the effort of keeping GnuMed config files drastically and
would help any distribution.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--