Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: using dbconfig-common in gnumed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: using dbconfig-common in gnumed
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:37:14 +0100

> > It just relays on either a simple flat SQL file or a bootstrap script
> > (as it is provided for instance by GnuMed).  (Sean, please correct me
> > if I underestimate your work.)
> Problem is, our bootstrap script does the same job as dbconfig-common,
> in creating databases, setting up users etc., which is great, but we
> need to decide *which* is going to do this on debian systems
> if we stick with ours, then there's little point iusing dbconfig-common,
> it would be called from postinst, but then we have to talk to
> debconf.....

Well, db-config-common apparently does all the things that can
be done generically such as creating the database and setting
up some users. On a Debian system.

Moving that part over to it from GnuMed would still leave as
with a) all the heavy lifting that's not trivial enough to be
generic (AFAICT) and b) all the non-Debian systems for which
we'd have to do it anyways.

However, it is still desirable to do things via
db-config-commen -- because that's the Right Way on a Debian
system. Debian developers seem a lot more likely to aid in
debugging if they look at stuff they are used to ;-)