Re: [Gnumed-devel] drugref status

From: Thilo Schuler
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] drugref status
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:56:04 +1000

Its all about asynchronicity! Some people call this AJAX (Asynchronous Java Script with XML). Here is an intro http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php. Also googling with "AJAX" shows that it is a hot topic in blogs.

I found this nice little article (http://serversideguy.blogspot.com/2004/12/google-suggest-dissected.html) that dissects Google suggest (I have only skimmed it because I should prepare a presentation for wednesday). It works with XMLHttpRequest an object that is built into most newer browsers and that can be accessed via JavaScript.

This is also how MAB communicates with the Amazon Web Services. For the DrugRef Browser I am planning I thought I would use vcXMLRPC (JavaScript XML-RPC implementation based on XMLHttpRequest).

Thilo

Ian Haywood wrote:
Thilo Schuler wrote:

Hi Richard,

thanks but take a look at the role model application (MAB at http://www.faser.net/mab with Firefox)

This is cool. Thilo, do you know how to do something in XUL like Google Suggest (http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en) I find it hard to believe there isn't a way, in fact, wait a sec, I'm using that functionality right now in Thunderbird ;-) so there must be a way

This is the equivalent of what we call the phrasewheel in gnumed-wxpython.
This would make it very tempting for a GUI
The problem is you need to write it in javascript. (ugh)

Ian