Re: [Gnumed-devel] drugref status

From: Thilo Schuler
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] drugref status
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:10:00 +1000

So what I wanted to say, yes the XUL architecture bases on JavaScript (It is actually a mix of XUL, JavaScript, CSS, RDF, XBL,..). But it seems the web seems generally going that way.

And after all if one is aware of its characteristics (loose typing, no inheritance,...which are not only a disadvantage) it can be used very well (including user defined objects). A debugger like "venkman" helps a great deal. But how am I to say that. I haven't programmed to much (only a little Delphi, SQL, and HTML) and I try to keep it as minimal as possible. But maybe that is why I appreciate that new movement towards UIs based on simple XML markup. I am not sure whether XUL will be still around in three years (depends whether the movement finally gains momentum together with mozilla firefox). But I believe some kind of XML-based rich-client markup will be the next generation of the web.

Thilo

Ian Haywood wrote:
Thilo Schuler wrote:

Hi Richard,

thanks but take a look at the role model application (MAB at http://www.faser.net/mab with Firefox)

This is cool. Thilo, do you know how to do something in XUL like Google Suggest (http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en) I find it hard to believe there isn't a way, in fact, wait a sec, I'm using that functionality right now in Thunderbird ;-) so there must be a way

This is the equivalent of what we call the phrasewheel in gnumed-wxpython.
This would make it very tempting for a GUI
The problem is you need to write it in javascript. (ugh)

Ian