Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows Xp

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows Xp
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 01:26:00 +0200

On Sunday 24 July 2005 00:50, Tim Churches wrote:
> Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 July 2005 23:34, Hilmar Berger wrote:
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>yesterday I tested the Gnumed-package on WinXP. I installed all required
> >>software packages as specified in the Wiki. It doesn't crash (that's the
> >>good news) and seems to do what it should, i.e. get the data from
> >> backend. However, there are massive problems when updating the notebook
> >> pages (branches of trees are not shown etc., pages are not updated
> >> correctly after switching tabs). Additionally, after selecting a patient
> >> Python uses about 100% CPU, while gnumed continues to work (you can
> >> switch tabs and they still work).
> >
> > We are working on it. I ahve no idea how to fix this right now. Log file
> > is inconclusive to me. Looks like a screen redraw problem.
> >
> >>I wondered why gnumed on Windows uses wxWidgets2.6 when we usually use
> >>wx2.4. That way it's difficult to say if this behavour is cause by bugs
> >> or incompatibilities with Windows or with wxWidgets2.6.
> >
> > You can use 2.4. I changed that part in the wiki. It doesn't seem to make
> > a difference.
>
> I installed the GNUme 0.1 clinet on WinXP with wxPython 2.4 and Python
> 2.3 and the other recommended libraries. I had to edit gnumed.bat to
> chnage the path tot he fiels to "C:\program Files\GNUmed-client" -
> "Program Files" is the default installation path on all English language
> versions of Windows.
>
> The client then appeared (eventually) but I was unable to view any
> existing patients (none offered) and was unable to add any new patients
> because it kept saying that DOB had to be in YY-MM-DD format - no matter
> what date format I tried, same error message. It wouldn't let me change
> to any other tab without a patient record loaded. The BMI and EDC tools
> worked but didn't print out. At that stage i concluded the test, since
> there was nothing else that appeared to even vaguely work.
>
> Sorry if the above seems negative, but that is an accurate account of my
> experience with the GNUmed v0.1 client. Still, having a client which
> actually displays something (even if it doesn't work) is a big step
> forward for GNUmed.
Quite some bugs have been fixed. The display issue remains. You missed quite a
bit of action because you could not select a patient. One problem I see is
that there is little info on how to access some of the cool feauture of
GNUmed.

I am busy as hell but some day we might get a small demonstration video out
that show some of the cool features.

I produced a set of screenshot which hopefully will appear soon on gnumed.org

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany