Re: [Gnumed-devel] emrjounalplugin.py comments further html work

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] emrjounalplugin.py comments further html work
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:04:15 -0700

At 10:59 PM +0000 9/13/05, Horst Herb wrote:

My "compromise" is a single text box for entering unstructured text but with
the provision for tagging text in order to provide some sort of structure and
searchability
By default I will always have the previous progress note in view for
reference, but a single click (sort by problem) will default to the last
progress note tagged with the current problem (if current problem already
set)

It is hard *not* to like what Horst has shown in terms of usability. So I wonder if I can bridge some understanding between this, and what Karsten sought to structure.

There seem to be two issues:

Issue 1:
------
Whether to support a separately & purely defined problem list (as Horst seems to do), or whether to define problems functionally as a subset of health issues i.e. those that remain after filtering out health issues that are inactive along with any closed episodes that do not remain clinically important.

Interestingly Karsten, in an old thread at gnumed.org, referenced the following which contains a section 3 screens down called "is the end of the problem list - no" to which I will refer people:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010305030646/http%3a//phcsg.ncl.ac.uk/conferences/cambridge1998/westerhof.htm

Horst's approach could permit the problem (no matter what language was used to name it, free-text) to be attached to one (or even more) diagnostic codes. And by extension when one or more problems are used to tag a visit, the progress notes become retrievable by diagnostic code.

This should not preclude attaching additional codes to a progress note entry, e.g. to capture treatments administered.

Issue 2:
------
The pros and cons of *partitioning* the data contained within any one visit (encounter) into parts each attached to the "owning" issue. There may be a *design tension* here between what's advocated by technically correct designers, who strive to maximize the exactness or precision of a data relationship versus what is "good enough" and much more satisfactory to get the "work" done.

So if at a visit a patient was initiated on an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor at a visit where diabetes, hypertension and heart failure were pertinent, does it matter which one (or more) problems were the "indication". Even if we care (because we might) is there some way to capture this other than by partitioning the contents of the note into separate problems? After all, maybe the drug is selected to treat all three (supposing they have proteinuria [setting aside if that should be separate]) but we certainly don't want to have to repeat the drug three times, once in each partition.

There seems always pressure from those who want to *use* the data to (always make someone else) input it into a system. The value is achieved through a cost transfer of labor (to the person doing the input). It is the same phenomenon by which my hospital's IT department endorsed a vendor's migration from client to web browser solution... makes IT department's job a lot easier though it is hell and much extra work for the doctors and nurses.

Anyhow I could be open to a backend that supports those who want to do the extra work of splitting *but* can this also accommodate the single-SOAP per visit design? I am wondering whether single-SOAP is the way to start (assuming it can be made to work with the present backend plus or minus a need to add problem lists) and then leaving until later a required use-case for splitting. Splitting would in some cases be easy, but when bits of SOAP data apply to MORE than one problem it will drive me a bit nuts to have to choose the health issue into which to parse it, or to have to repeat the content when our goal is probably to be reductionist.