Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed brochures (was When will GNUmed be ready)

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed brochures (was When will GNUmed be ready)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:06:24 +0100

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 23:45, Hilmar Berger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would emphasize the long-time goals more than what GNUmed can do today.
> After all, we are at v0.2 and a lot of parts are still missing.
> You should say that GNUmed one day is planned to be a complete EMR with
> possibe integration of other software (billing etc.).
Keep that short. People can visit our website to find out.

> Don't tell the world that we already have four walls, tell them we want to
> build a house.

Depends on what you intend to do with it. At conferences people wnat to know
what can be done now. I personally don't care about any project that
potentially will rule the world one day.

Those long term goals can be published in a visionary document.
IMHO (!) flyers help you to to raise awareness now. I know that not all
GNUmedders agree about how the message should be transported and when.

All I can say that I would like to distribute the flyers with the content
that answers what can be done today.

> J Busser <address@hidden> wrote:
> > At 6:12 PM +0100 12/9/05, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > >I think there's need for two versions of "each". One for the
> > >innocent bystander who displays a passing interest for the
> > >project. That one needs to answer "what is this", "why would
> > >I want this" plus a *few* pointers.
> >
> > Following minor editing, here is what I had written on that draft
> > brochure. Feel free to suggest any improvements for the "innocent
> > bystanders".
> >
> > GNUmed: Working internationally for patients' and doctors' benefit as
> > a free EMR
> > www.gnumed.org
> > GNUmed - The EMR to consider
> >
> > Why use GNUmed?
> > GNUmed can already
> > - allow your existing software to co-operate
> > - allow you to keep ownership and control of your patients' data
> > - allow you to change support companies without fear of "lock-in"
> >
> > GNUmed is an "Open Source" project, which means it is built on the
> > efforts of people with the best intentions for patients and doctors.

Sounds good

> > Its developers are a tiny army. Your participation will help it to
> > grow faster and better.
I would avoid the word army. All I can say is that stressing OpenSource
concepts doesn't really help in the beginning. People are not familiar with
them. I would skip the paragraph.

> > Visit our web site. Ask any thing you like. Be brave, try it. GNUmed
> > will always be free.
> >
> > GNUmed requirements:
> > * one or more Linux or Windows computers
> > * multiple-user setup requires a network
> > * train and manage it yourself, or hire someone to help you
> >
> > Like to know more? - Just ask us!

Sounds good

> > >The other is more concrete and enlarges the pointers/data points
> > >part and shortens the what/why part.
> >
> > Which do people think - more like
> >     http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/WhatCanIActuallyDOWithG
> >NUmedToday or more like the roadmap, with some extra explanation of
> > limitations?
less roadmap , less explanations. Let people discover those when talking to
us. Worked pretty goof for Karsten and me.
--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany