Re: [Gnumed-devel] International Standards

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] International Standards
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:30:42 +0100

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 04:33:57PM +0800, Richard Hosking wrote:

> Standards organizations have shown varying levels of success. The ideas
> are good - after all the internet is a result of agreed standards.
The core of which have risen out of a practical
implementation, not a "rigorous standards process" before
the fact.

> who find the actual coding too hard, but enjoy talking about the
> concepts at meetings.
See, this is how it all comes about. One can produce
fuzzy-feeling speeches and writings all day long and enjoy
that tremendously but whether the result is something
actually practically implementable is another story.

> Having said that, I think Gnumed should strive to adhere to good principles.
Definitely so. It would be very worthwhile to have someone
(like you ?) in good knowledge of the various relevant
standards who continously compares what we do with how the
standards do it and comments on that and makes  suggestions
here and there as to what "theoretical" results and reseach
we should take into account. This wouldn't be like

"Oh, I think you should read HL7 RIM 3"

but rather like:

"Ah, let's see, GNUmed is doing lab data storage like so,
and OpenEHR does it like so. The differences are these and
here's why OpenEHR does it the way they do it."