Re: [Gnumed-devel] Vision

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Vision
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:32:30 -0800

At 8:53 AM +1100 12/17/05, Richard Terry wrote:
I wish you guys would change the headers to reflect the content!

Well, it did remain pertinent to the brochures, as far as whether or not these should include a "vision". But I agree (as per next email)

Agree of course with Hilmar, I've laboured this point over and over and over
again for several years.

I used to labor this point too, but notice I have stopped expressing outright frustration. It is a matter of channeling the frustration into something constructive. Which may now be happening. :-)

It is interesting that we have  Daniel, obviously another talented newcomer
interested in helping gnuMed. Daniel will, I predict, go the way of so many
other potential developers who  have abandoned gnuMed, and will give
up in frustration because of an attitude which is unable to see the bigger picture.

I suggest instead of replying to this email, people instead reply to my next one. My reasoning is to stop ourselves getting caught in a cycle of perseveration, and shift ourselves to discussion that, while still insightful, better moves us forward.  Yet I still wanted to offer these $0.02, just keep in mind they are not intended to be replied-to:

Daniel has not yet determined how much "common ground" he shares. If he determines there to be a "good fit" with his participation, he will stay. If he chooses to disappear, some people including Richard may conclude (without necessarily knowing) it to be a strategic failure of the project to have turned itself around, to follow the *potential* leadership of such people.

Can anyone advise the subsequent activity of such people? Have any gone on to invest their energies in some other existing open source project, or to create and lead their own?

I wrote a paragraph that I just deleted, except to suggest people think: what is it that keeps "the frustrated" here? Is it something they can answer?

etc etc... when the vision of others is just left to rot by the wayside.

I am fully in support of having a vision. But a vision is *only* useful once it gets connected to a plan that anyone believes achievable. But the only plan I know is the roadmap, otherwise only talk of the planning of plans.

So if there is to be value to the visioning exercise (which, like quitting smoking, might take several tries ;-) ) I would suggest that at *least* Karsten, Sebastian, Ian, Hilmar, Richard, others as they care to, see if we can figure out where we agree, and where we lack agreement. Where we lack agreement, heavier thinking will be needed how to move forward or whether it be an unresolvable impasse.

See next email for some discussion.