Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed.conf

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed.conf
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 00:23:31 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:45:01 -0800
J Busser <address@hidden> wrote:

>> The servers/databases to which a client can connect are
>> provided/defined as a profile inside the file gnumed.conf found (most
>> likely) in the directory /home/user_name/.gnumed/. If not, take a
>> look at the file gnumed.conf.example in the directory
>> /some_dir/gnumed/client/etc/.
>
> So I was wondering about the "If not" part. Is it intended that the
> /client/etc/ file serves as the "default" but can be "overridden" by
> a file in /home/user_name/... ? Would it depend if gnumed was started
> from inside /home/user_name/.gnumed/?

As far as I understand, an appropriate gnumed.conf should be installed in the
users homedir on client installation.
gnumed/client/etc serves as a place where you can find reasonable defaults
which you (or your installation module) can copy to your homedir as an template.
Gnumed should always lookup /home/user_name/.gnumed/gnumed.conf at startup (at
least that's what I remember).

> Andrea's Debian installer puts the client under /usr/bin/python2.3 so
> I gather any users logged into such a machine would all access a
> shared copy of the client that keeps only one configuration?
I don't remember the .conf file hierarchy well. However, gmCfg.py tells me the
following:

The module will look for the config file in the following standard
places:

1) programmer supplied arguments
2) user supplied command line (getopt style):   --conf-file=<a file name>
3) user supplied $aName_DIR environment variable (all uppercase)
4) ~/.<aDir>/<aName>.conf
5) ~/.<aName>.conf
6) /etc/<aDir>/<aName>.conf
7) /etc/<aName>.conf
8) ./<aName>.conf               - last resort for DOS/Win

So, homedir/.gnumed will override any shared gnumed.conf in /etc/ or elsewhere.

Hilmar