[Gnumed-devel] Re: gnumed.conf

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: gnumed.conf
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:03:54 +0100

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 02:45:01PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> and I was reading at the wiki under StartingGnumed
>
> The servers/databases to which a client can connect are
> provided/defined as a profile inside the file gnumed.conf found (most
> likely) in the directory /home/user_name/.gnumed/. If not, take a
> look at the file gnumed.conf.example in the directory
> /some_dir/gnumed/client/etc/.
>
> So I was wondering about the "If not" part. Is it intended that the
> /client/etc/ file serves as the "default" but can be "overridden" by
> a file in /home/user_name/... ?
No. the gnumed.conf.example file is just that: an example.
It is also supposed to document *all* the options that are
settable in a gnumed.conf. If not that's a bug and we should
like to hear about that. Usually it would live in (on Debian)

 /usr/share/doc/gnumed-client/gnumed.conf.example

but could arguably be in either of

 /etc/gnumed/gnumed.conf.example

or

 /etc/skel/gnumed.conf

I would think Andreas knows best here regarding Debian
packages.

> Would it depend if gnumed was started
> from inside /home/user_name/.gnumed/?
No.

> Andrea's Debian installer puts the client under /usr/bin/python2.3 so
> I gather any users logged into such a machine would all access a
> shared copy of the client
Yes.

> that keeps only one configuration?
No. Each user has her configuration under
~/.gnumed/gnumed.conf.