Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics gnumed to oscar

From: Syan Tan
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] demographics gnumed to oscar
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 09:08:25 +0800

have just got the external_id thing working , except I found 2 exceptional cases during testing

Exceptional cases
1. need to check if
the oscar_no retrieved
from gnumed external_id is still in
the oscar database:
if not , reinsert  the demographic
and update the oscar_no
in the gnumed database. This happens when an oscar demographic is deleted after it was transferred

from the gnumed db.

2. need to intercept the
search appointment case
where there is only one
selected and there is
an automatic return
to addappointments.

Also, mysql has transactions, but the oscar stuff hasn't been written with transactions in mind

I believe. I am using selecting the max(demographic_no) to retrieve the oscar_no,  after inserting into the oscar demographic,

and this could be interleaved with another concurrent insert , because of the lack of transactions.

On Tue Jul 4 11:55 , James Busser sent:

Quoting Syan Tan <address@hidden>:

> ... and hopefully there is a mysql sequencer that will generate
> theoscar number.

Part of me hates to ask the question on account of local considerations
(billing) but the other part of me figures I may as well ask, so here goes:

If oscar were implemented in postgres rather than mysql would that
significantly, or only minimally, simplify the interoperability?

I understand that Oscar *has* been implemented using postgres by people in
Brazil for whom the internationalization (and maybe other features) was
important. But I don't know how up to date is the oscar cvs maintained for its
postgres scripts and in Canada anywy it seems there are many fewer people
available comfortable with postgres than mysql. But that is not a reason to not
use postgres if it is better to do so.