Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed download & installation problems (Macintosh Ti

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed download & installation problems (Macintosh Tiger)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:48:49 -0700

On Sep 28, 2007, at 3:09 PM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/? is the system's python I believe. If I remember correctly there Library/Frameworks/ Python.framework/?
as well ?

Just copy the users's python over the system's one or symlink it s it will see the updates. Or better find out where the hell Mac looks for the system's
python

I found a potentially useful site for Python on the Macintosh, I will bookmark it in the wiki:
        http://www.nabble.com/Python---pythonmac-sig-f2970.html

Apparently Apple makes closed-source modification to Python 2.3 which is why it shouldn't be deleted Apparently the next Mac OS release (10.5x "Leopard") will have Python 2.5.1

I'll add a note in bold on the python.org Macintosh downloads page saying not to remove the Apple-provided version.
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=3957711&framed=y

   --The "Recommended Option" -- for users without special needs or
newbies that don't know what they need
   ----- use binary Python 2.4.* installer
   ----- ... after installing:
-- Install TigerPython24Fix (dunno if still necessary in 2007)
         -- Add /usr/local/bin to your PATH
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=2788866&framed=y

Yes. It works after I type export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH. But next time if I open the terminal, I need do it again. How can I make it permanent?
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=2780641&framed=y

The python you installed lives in /usr/local/bin. If you want it to run when you type 'python' at the prompt you need to make sure that /usr/local/bin is before /usr/bin in your path.
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=745652&framed=y

To make sure /usr/local/bin is in your path before /usr/bin if your shell is bash, type...
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=2778505&framed=y

Create the following text file and save it as ".bash_profile" in your home directory.
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=2781399&framed=y

The thing I'm slightly unclear about is the best way to change my path on OSX. Changing things like ~/.profile and ~/.bash_profile change it for the shell, but do not change it systemwide. I've
modified my ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist, which seems to do the job
...Yes. It is the way to change it system wide for any applications the do not check the $PATH environment variable. I only change the environment in those two ways (shell vars and environment.plist) and have no problems. And if I want a specific Python, /usr/bin/python or /usr/local/bin/python finds the one I intend to access. Maybe some of the more sage members of this community have more detailed or better advice, but that's what I recommend from my experience.
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=3934949&framed=y

Add /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin to your shell's PATH, which the macpython installer should do automatically. The major advantages of that are that all python stuff is nicely self-contained in the python framework and it is possible to do side-by-side installations of multiple versions of python (such as Python 2.4 and 2.5).
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=7735746&framed=y

>What's the "framework"?  If that's the entire Python interpreter and
>library, installed in a way that can't interfere with whatever the
>user is using for whatever *other* Python needs they have on their
>machine -- that's what I'd need if I were to use something other than
>the system Python.
And that is what py2app does. It will add the subsection of Python.framework that is needed for your application (based on the contents of setup.py and static analysis of the application) into the app bundle. Loader commands of binaries in the app bundle are rewriten to make sure they refer to the framework (and other libraries) inside the bundle instead of versions outside of the bundle.
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=3416888&framed=y

Why do I need MacPython? What does it do?
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=6400598&framed=y

For a long time I've been building apps with MacPython and wxPython that run just fine on Mac and Windows, using py2app and py2exe to build the executables, and packaging the Win version with InnoSetup and for Mac just making a double-clickable .dmg -- both dead simple for users (whom I expect to know even less than I do) http://www.nabble.com/Recurring-question---which-python-should-I- use--tf1278715.html#a3400430

You can use native extensions with the universal build, but you cannot use PPC extensions on Intel. To answer you're question: you're going to need a universal or Intel build of wxPython to create wx gui's on an intel mac. http://www.nabble.com/Recurring-question---which-python-should-I- use--tf1278715.html#a3400430

> What do I need to hack to get the frameworks to install in my preferred
> location, instead of the default? And why doesn't Python pick up the
> ./configure flags correctly anyway?
It does pick up the configure flags correctly, but you need to pass the correct configure flags. If you'd have used --help you'd have seen that --enable-framework takes a path, which defaults to / Library/Frameworks. If you want it to go somewhere else, give it a different path.
http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=6837806&framed=y