Re: [Gnumed-devel] Emacs & org-mode for handling appointments

From: Gour
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Emacs & org-mode for handling appointments
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 14:42:18 +0200

>>>>> "Karsten" == Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> writes:

Karsten> If you give us a few more details we may be able to work
Karsten> something out. We already have patient details export and also
Karsten> "hooks" which are called after certain conditions in GNUmed
Karsten> which can then trigger user-definable actions (such as writing
Karsten> the current patient to a file somewhere or importing data from
Karsten> a file).

org-mode works as follows: one enters different notes in several *.org
files. If one wants to plan an appointment, then one enters 'timestamp'
on the outline (see
http://orgmode.org/manual/Timestamps.html#Timestamps).

org-mode's agenda feature then collects all those entries (which may
come from different *.org files) and display them in 'Agenda' view (see
http://orgmode.org/manual/Agenda-Views.html#Agenda-Views)

So, I envision the following workflow:

1) shcheduling appointment - when working with the patient record in
GNUmed and when I want to schedule an appointment, then GNUmed should be
able to call emacs (probably using emacsclient) with specified *.org
file to 'schedule' an appointment and

2) looking for appointments

Another feature would be to look at appointments and it can happen as
follows: GNUmed shall call emacsclient with specified *.org file and
then launch Agenda-view command to display all the appointments in the
current week.

What do you think?

It would be nice if some other GNUmed/org-mode user chime in...

Sincerely,
Gour

Karsten> Karsten -- GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net E167 67FD A291
Karsten> 2BEA 73BD 4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346