Re: [Gnumed-devel] Emacs & org-mode for handling appointments

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Emacs & org-mode for handling appointments
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:20:26 +0200

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 08:00:12PM +0200, Gour wrote:

> I'm still thinking what would be the best way to do it...maybe it's
> enough that GNUmed do the following:
>
> 1) ask for a *.org filename

Would this always be the same .org file in real life ?

If yes would it make sense to use, say,
~/gnumed/appointments/gnumed+emacs.org ?

If no would the .org files always/mostly be in the same
directory ?

> 2) open that filename with emacsclient (in order not to launch new
> instance of Emacs, but that requires that user has emacs-server running
> - not a problem), i.e. do: emacsclient filename.org.

No problem. How can I detect whether a server is already
running ? How would I start one if not ?

> Then user can add appointment in the outline level he/she prefers.

OK.

> Karsten> 2) Would you like GNUmed to just pass patient information (and
> Karsten> which) to emacs org mode or do you also want GNUmed to let you
> Karsten> select date and time of the apptointment.
>
> Yes, passing patient name would be nice, but I'm not sure atm how the
> user could retrieve it.

Perhaps by setting some sort of insert-buffer ? How would
that be done ?

> Let me tell you that I really appreciate your readiness to help us make
> GNUmed work for our needs. Thank you.

No problem, that's what OSS is about. It's fun, too.