[Gnumed-devel] Re: Emacs & org-mode for handling appointments

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Emacs & org-mode for handling appointments
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:15:20 +0200

>>>>> "Karsten" == Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> writes:

Karsten> Would this always be the same .org file in real life ?

It could be.

Karsten> If yes would it make sense to use, say,
Karsten> ~/gnumed/appointments/gnumed+emacs.org ?

On wiki, I suggested gnumed.org.

Karsten> If no would the .org files always/mostly be in the same
Karsten> directory ?

I think it's reasonable.

Karsten> No problem. How can I detect whether a server is already
Karsten> running ? How would I start one if not ?

Well, invoking emacslient when the server is not running will report:

emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
emacsclient: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:

        --socket-name
        --server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
        --alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)

so, I believe it's reasonable to expect that user start server in
his/her Emacs session.

Otherwise, it would be possible to launch new Emacs session with:

 emacs --eval "(server-start)"

but it defeats the purpose 'cause we want to have running server
already.

Therefore, I believe it's enough to report to user that server is not
running (console output) and inform him to re-try again after starting
server.

Karsten> Perhaps by setting some sort of insert-buffer ? How would that
Karsten> be done ?

Frankly speaking - I do not know.

I believe that emacsclient offers two possibilities:

a) invoking certain (*.org) file or

b) evaluating some Emacs function

I'll try to investigate (aka: ask) on some forums.

Karsten> No problem, that's what OSS is about. It's fun, too.

Well, there are different people in OSS world ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D