Re: [Gnumed-devel] USBPG for Windows - make it work

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] USBPG for Windows - make it work
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:56:09 +0200

On Samstag 13 September 2008, you wrote:
> How do I back up mi production DB and include it in the USB so it can be
> worked off site?

http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/DatabaseBackupRestore

Hmm, for a start you can start the USB PG , then start pgadmin3 and the get
rid of the databases (and the login roles if the restore fails)

Then all you need to care about is your production database version 9.

I would go for http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/backup.html

Section 23.1.2 pg_dumpall on your linux host and psql on windows (it is
included in the usbpg directory) are your friends as described on that page.

I guess you could even restore from pgadmin3.

There are some backup scripts in the GNUmed CVS to look at.
http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/DatabaseBackupRestore

HINT 1: For the very adventorous you can copy the data directory of postgres
as well after you have shut down postgres. I do not recommend that. No I do
not :-)

HINT 2: Unless you absolutely know that you are doing please try to not use
the database on the stick and on your local linux box in production. If you
edit patient data in both independently it can become very hard to sync.

> PS: This is THE BEST new feature of GNUmed since EVER !!! :)

Well, thanks. It's more a postgres feature than anything else.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany