[Gnumed-devel] Measurements and Documents and associations

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements and Documents and associations
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 12:27:40 -0700

---> = request for comment

Recently we had conversation about imports (e.g. lab imports) being their own encounter, even though the event could have happened concurrently with (during) a clinical encounter --- say, an in-praxis visit, on the same patient.

I am noticing, in Kirk, that measurements appear as part of his in- surgery encounter.

---> I am wondering if that is just an artifact of how they got originally created (maybe manually imported and being allowed to be part of the same encounter)?

Except for "in praxis" measurements (blood pressure etc) which would be taken during an encounter, the other ("out of praxis") measurements would be imported.

Measurements are able to be associated with an episode, however in the EMR tree they only show up at the level of encounter detail, they do not seem to be abstracted into the EMR tree episode that is in focus (despite that the contained documents are abstracted into the statistics). ---> might we desire measurements to be handled in like fashion to documents?

---> might we want one line per measurement, to give useful info in the way that the documents supplies the useful info of the document type and name?

---> the Health Issue summary includes # of episodes and # of encounters; is there any thinking on we want also summarized/listed the documents and measurements (this would be a pooling across what was listed in the individual episodes)... I am not sure, I only pose the possibility for its pros and cons... what this would offer is the ability to identify whether and where something lives inside the health issue, without having to descend inside each item... once the item of interest were viewed, the clinician could then more easily navigate to the part of the tree that may be of more interest / relevance.

Something weird happens inside the 0.5.rc2 client when (inside the measurements editor) I assign the measurement to an episode that is sitting among unattributed, because when I selected such an episode from the drop-down menu, what is returned into the "Problem" field is

<name of my selected unattributed episode> / <name of an episode belonging to a health issue>

or

        <name of my selected unattributed episode> /  <name of health issue>

although the unwanted fragment does not get saved... it is only confusing in the widget. ---> is this reproducible by others, and is any log and launchpad report needed?

In the measurement editor, there is only enough room to label one of the fields "Problem" and not to label it (as with the Notelet editors):
        Problem (episode) name

However in the Attach documents plugin, we presently have
        Associate to episode:
---> can this be made Associate to problem (episode)
since this hints that a new problem (episode) can be created right in this field, if none of the dropdown items match.