Re: [Gnumed-devel] Matching was Re: Mirth (2 of 3): HL7 import for the G

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Matching was Re: Mirth (2 of 3): HL7 import for the GNUmed project - test source message
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 05:59:16 +0200

> > Now we need to find out what the OBX-OBR link IS in clinicians terms.
>
>  i'm not really the best person to determine that.  i am much more
> trusting: i can see that in the mirth spec files every single one
> which returns observational reports has an OBR-OBX hierarchy.  i'm not
> one for worrying about or concerning myself with the "reason", i just
> "see the connection" and immediately move on.   you've noticed already
> (sebastien even commented on it) that i move _extremely_ quick at
> times, on coding up solutions: now you know why.

If the explanation for your rapid coding is that you dont mind too much
about the correctness of the solution (or rather only to the degree of
apparent correctness) I wonder whether doctors will trust our code to
run their patients on. I am being rather cautious in my wording here.

As long as I am not convinced that my code will either do the
correct thing (according to the specs) or *detect that it cannot
correctly handle a situation* (again, only as far as specs define that)
I would not trust it to match up my lab results.

Such trust in the code cannot come from inspecting examples of data or
other implementations alone. It must stem from a reading and comprehension
of a spec (if *that* is wrong or faulty or ambigous - so be it - not
your fault).

Dont take this as an offense against your code. This is just a quality
assurance consideration. I dont want to be the one fingers being
pointed at when a patient dies. We doctors walk the line with the
mourning widow.

>  however i know someone who may be able to explain.

Most excellent.

GMX DSL SOMMER-SPECIAL: Surf & Phone Flat 16.000 für nur 19,99 ¿/mtl.!*
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl