Re: [Gnumed-devel] Matching was Re: Mirth (2 of 3): HL7 import for the G

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Matching was Re: Mirth (2 of 3): HL7 import for the GNUmed project - test source message
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:36:39 +0100

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2010-08-19, at 8:59 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>
>>> i'm not
>>> one for worrying about or concerning myself with the "reason", i just
>>> "see the connection" and immediately move on.   you've noticed already
>>> (sebastien even commented on it) that i move _extremely_ quick at
>>> times, on coding up solutions: now you know why.
>>
>> If the explanation for your rapid coding is that you dont mind too much
>> about the correctness
>
> I did not interpret it that way, but I agree that the request for
> clarification is entirely reasonable and should not lend offence :-)

 correctness can only be proven with unit tests, and by knowing in
advance exactly how the process works.  given that the process is not
really well-known, and that unit tests do not exist (only some
"developer testing / developer assistance" code)...

 if you recall, i did mention, jim, privately, right at the beginning,
that unit tests would be required, and that the unit tests would take
far longer to add (simply through sheer quantity required to "prove"
correctness) than the original code would take.

 l.