Re: [Gnumed-devel] Usage of GNU-med for TCM

From: Axel Wachtler
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Usage of GNU-med for TCM
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 22:27:47 +0100

On 28.02.2012 19:37, Busser, Jim wrote:
Jim, I fully agree this approach should work.

Since the above should work, any "not going well" may simply be some
misunderstanding of how to create and use such lists of medication, perhaps extending to
whether this can in future versions be made any easier in GNUmed.

Whether to build a data pack depends if there is enough agreement on content,
by enough people, involving sufficient numbers of substances, to make the task
of interest to somebody.

What I have seen in the current used TCM software is, that they have implemented a kind of lexica. In simple words they have the plant
name (latin, english, german, pinjin), a description what the plant
does and literature references. On the first view the information is
organized like a wikipedia for med. drugs and herbs. A free data base would be very helpfull here. Technically, the descriptions of the plants should have a trust level, so one or more readers/authors should sign the article or parts of it if they agree. Additionally there should be the option of allowing different parallel descriptions of one drug, because there will be sometimes different interpretations all over the world or the description is in different languages available.
I've just found that one university of Honkong started a page with such
a collection, but without signed information.

Axel