Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurement workflows - result shading

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurement workflows - result shading
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 18:59:33 +0200

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 04:47:28PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> We can do without a legend, if the shading is made self-evident by one (maybe
> both) of the following:
>
> - a character indicator appended (after two spaces) to the right of the
> result in the shaded cell
>       see
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2013-07/pngDRyvVBnnRD.png
>
> - information contained in the tooltip

In that case we only need one color. A second may be a nice
convenience.

> Several potential scenarios exist, and it may be a good idea to agree first
> on a limit to how many colour states.
>
> Might a colour for each of the following be excessive, and how many of these
> states should be coalesced?
>
> 1. result is above upper limit of *target* range
>
> 2. result is above upper limit of *normal* range in 3 situations:
>       with no target defined
>       within the target range (think: INR 2.6)
>       below the lower limit of the target range (INR 1.6)
>
> 3. result is within the normal range in 3 situations
>       with no target defined
>       within the target range (think: INR < 1.5 peri-procedurally)
>       below the lower limit of the target range
>
> 4. result lacks numeric normal/target data, but is coded / flagged by the lab
>       4a. with an indicator
>       4b. with a comment, but no indicator
>
> - plus the mirror (inverses) of #1-3 ...
>
> At the highest level of abstraction, the questions include
>
> 1) whether, in the case of results that are computationally evaluable as
> "high" or "low", to have distinct colours for
>
>       numerically above target (supra-therapeutic, else *unacceptably*
> elevated)
>       numerically below target (infra-therapeutic, else *unacceptably*
> depressed)
>
>       numerically above normal
>       numerically below normal
>
>       … i.e. 4 shades
>       … or whether to combine together the two "aboves", and the two "belows"
>       … and whether -- if combining -- "targets" (when present) overrule
> "normals"
>
> 2) whether to map, and auto-interpret, a range of potential lab supplied
> indicators such as
>
>       + -
>       high low
>       h l
>
> as meaning "high" or "low" except I think this could be unreliable depending
> on the source labs and the language being used, and therefore clinically
> risky.
>
> 3) whether, in the case of the remaining results, which are *not* readily
> evaluable as "high" or "low", but are nonetheless characterized by any of
>
>       lab-supplied indicator
>       lab-supplied comment
>       clinician-supplied (or revised) indicator
>       clinician-supplied (or revised) comment
>       clinician signed-as Abnormal
>       clinician signed-as Relevant
>
> to assign yet some *other* colour, or to dispense with colour for these.

This is entirely too complicated for the average user.

I suggest 2 colors at most (well, 3, if you count "neutral"):

1) below target, or below normal if no target

2) above target, or above normal if no target

After all, the very fact that a target is defined means that
the normal is not applicable, by definition. We could do
with one color (out-of-target or out-of-normal if no target
defined) if we combine that with the already existing
abnormality indicator.

I don't think auto-interpreting + and - is risky.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de