Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurement workflows - value colour red

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurement workflows - value colour red
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 18:48:54 +0000

On 2013-07-14, at 10:26 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Cholesterol is perhaps not the best example. Think GGT
>
> Or, perhaps, HbA1c / blood glucose.

Again, I think that

        target range

provides a much more practical method of managing the patient's results.

Taking this very latest example of HbA1c

- for my patients who are not yet known to be diabetic, I would maintain their
"target range" to be NULL
- for such patients, any HbA1c above the lab's normal range ( 4 - 6 %) is both
abnormal and of potential interest
- in the case where an HbA1c is 6.2 % or 6.4%, I will appreciate that GNUmed
will auto-shade these pink and thereby bring them to my attention

Once a patient is determined to be diabetic, and if I would set their target as
6% to 7%, then new values of 6.2% or 6.4% will be auto-shaded pink until I sign
them, and upon signing them (with the pre-seeded target of 6% to 7%) these
cells will no longer be pink.

If however the patient's HbA1c was 7.2% it would remain pink, and on review
with the patient I can easily identify to them "well, it is not quite as good
as we should be able to manage in your case".

-- Jim