Re[2]: EOKeyValueCoding

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[2]: EOKeyValueCoding
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:38:53 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:18:12 +0000 Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden>
wrote:
 >| I think we have a very simple rule for where to put apple stuff ...
 >| maintain compatibility with apple.
 >| If we put code in the wrong places, so it's either in the wrong headers
 >| or linked in as part of the
 >| wrong frameworks (as far as apple compatibility is concerned), then we
 >| are making extra work for anyone
 >| porting the code, and any end users could resonably report it as a bug
 >| and ask us to fix it.
 >|
 >| A problem then only arises where apple have abandoned an API, but we
 >| want to keep it ... in which case
 >| I think we should probably aim to keep it where they had it.

In Apple stuff, KVC are in EOF which is, AFAIK, only delivered as a part of
WebObjects.
Putting KVC stuff in EOF force people to link with gdl2 just for KVC.
Putting KVC stuff in base means that people wanted to use gsweb and gdl2 with
other foundations libraries can't (or need
to re-implement KVC)
Putting KVC stuff in a distinct library (in which we could also put NSString
GNUstep additions and so on) allow this.

 >| I don't want to put every API apple drop into the base and gui
 >| libraries ... that would just result in
 >| bloated libraries with lots of APIs that most people don't want.  In
 >| fact, far from adding to the base
 >| library, I'd rather try to factor out some GNUstep code (MIME, XML, SSL)
 >| into separate bundles
 >| (or something similar) included as part of the base package but capable
 >| of being used independently.

I agree.

 >| I think this means the basic KVC stuff should be in the base library,
 >| with webobjects extensions in gsweb
 >| and eof extensions in gdl2.

KVC is a generic set of properties which are basically not closel related to
gsweb or EOF.
EOF use it and need some deep handlers (for example to use dictionary as a
collection of ivars).
GSWeb use it only
I'd  also like to have some nice basic mecanisms like those described in one of
my last mail (Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:46:51) which
make life really easier.

 >| That being said, since I'm still not sure of the status of gdl2, it may
 >| be that some of the stuff from
 >| there has nowhere to go but the base library.

Except EOGenericRecord stuff which have really it's place in EOF (if we have
handlers to code it nicely), other EOF
documented KVC things I've seen should be, IMHO, where KVC basic stuff is (in
base or an independant library).

Manuel
Manuel Guesdon - OXYMIUM <address@hidden>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0999  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998