Re: "Jaguar" additions

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: "Jaguar" additions
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:33:05 +0200

On Tuesday, August 20, 2002, at 08:58 AM, Jeff Teunissen wrote:

CoreFoundation has no relation at all to NeXT; it was entirely created by
Apple as a C API to do things similar to what Foundation does. Apple's
Foundation is itself based on CoreFoundation now, or so I hear.

This is correct. You can see it in all stacktraces. Some time ago Nat! <address@hidden> did make some benchmarking of the new Foundation (CF based) vs. the old OPENSTEP Foundation - with disastrous results. The new Foundation is much slower than the old Foundation was ... part of the CoreFoundation code is open (included in Darwin), sporting some interesting bugs ;-) Nat! found several and reported them some time ago, I'm not sure if they're gone however (altogether we reported around 150 Bugs ...). Interesting thing to note: Apple's Bugreporter dubbed 'Radar' once allowed you to see all open issues - making it possible for us to track an NFS crash bug in their database as being known since '98. 'Radar' is closed now, you can't look at other incidents that you don't own anymore ...

I'm kinda trying to figure out just what the point of this is; playing
follow-the-leader is useless, in large part because there are huge areas
where "the leader" simply can't be followed, because of trade mark,
license, patent issues, or just the fact that they have a _lot_ of people
working on OSX full-time.

Although I do agree on this issue, there's no reason to prevent people from at least trying to catch up. Personally I do think that Zeroconf isn't that important and other things (especially the GUI) have to be pushed more, but then again that's just my opinion. If someone has talent & energy in implementing the Zeroconf stuff, why not?

But concerning feature-completeness: GNUstep wasn't feature complete compared with Apple's Foundation long before Jaguar. Think about Applescript and its extensions in Apple's Foundation. You won't find them in GNUstep (thank God for that! ;-).

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com