Re: GNUstep Base OpenStep Compliance

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: GNUstep Base OpenStep Compliance
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 07:29:24 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:

OK, Here, I hope I've made it painfully clear what our goals are (other parts of the mission statement removed for brevity):

standard and its implementation as defined in OPENSTEP 4.2.  Our goal
is to maintain the implied behavior of the OpenStep specification as
much as possible and document any deviations from this behavior, in order
to make it easy to port an Application from OPENSTEP. Our second goal
is to achieve compatibility with a reference Cocoa implementation (currently
MacOSX 10.2) as needed to implement code which can be cross-compiled on
Cocoa, execpt for documented differences which conflict with the overall
goals of GNUstep (detailed below).
We will consider changes and additions to our API under the following
circumstances.</p>

[snip]
Yes, so we are in "violent agreement" (tm) ;-) (Well, at least I'm violently agreeing with you.) I had lost focus in this discussion and should have consulted the the proposal before refering to the "Misson Statement" and changed my wording to "These points are the *core* aspects of the GNUstep Misson for me." My bad.

My suggestion would be to start posting ChangeLog entries (possibly including patches), so that people have it easier to follow what's going on. I've been doing that, but as no one joined in, I guess, I've been annoying people more than anything else. Maybe we should have a seperate patches-

I like it, at least (for non-trivial patches).

Triviality is subjective :-) ... I'll try to make wise decisions, please nudge me, if I'm off.

Cheers,
Dave