Re: GNUstep Base OpenStep Compliance

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep Base OpenStep Compliance
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 15:39:00 +0100

On Saturday, April 5, 2003, at 11:01  am, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

On Saturday, April 5, 2003, at 04:33 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
<snip>
So, to try to clarify again ...
We should Implement the OpenStep API in the core libraries.

Sorry if I am confused, does that mean you want to remove the non-OpenStep stuff from core? I don't think this is what you are proposing, no?

You are right ... I just mean we should be *SURE* we have the OpenStep API implemented as our first priority. Not that we should reject additions.

We should use MacOS-X as a library test reference platform,
We should implement NeXTstep look  and feel applications on top of it.

Exactly, it is important to make the distinction between the NEXTSTEP look and feel and the Cocoa/Mac OS X test reference platform. I think - to rephrase what you are saying - what we want is a set of libraries which implements OpenStep but we add compatibility with Cocoa where it makes sense, while we keep using the superior look and feel of NEXTSTEP. At least this is my understanding of it :-)

Yep.