Re: Making autogsdoc a separate package

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Making autogsdoc a separate package
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 05:03:24 +0100

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 04:00 AM, Adam Fedor wrote:

Nicola Pero wrote:
I'd like to propose to make autogsdoc a separate package from
gnustep-base.
It has nothing to do with gnustep-base actually, as it's a completely
independent documentation tool.

Yes, but it's hard enough to get people to write/read the documentation as it is. Requiring a separate package would make it harder (plus I'd have to maintain a separate package as well (relases,etc)).

I see no problem (other than the maintainability overhead ... a pretty strong argument) with moving autogsdoc and dwrite and make_strings and cvtenc etc etc out into a
separate package, but no point either.

Unless ... we upgraded autogsdoc to make it much more customisable (ie a general purpose documentation tool rather than being so much focussed on documenting the
base and gui library), and we separated documentation out too.

We still haven't agreed on whether to build the Documentation in the libraries by default either.

The only argument I'm aware of for not building/installing the documentation by default (other than the argument from personal taste of course) is that it' error-prone and looks bad if it
goes wrong.

My view is that this argument is not really valid ... the solution is to make documentation
generation reliable rather than to stop doing it.