Re: Gorm source reorganization

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Gorm source reorganization
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:16:39 -0800 (PST)

Guys,

I will make everything libraries for now, until frameworks are functioning.   I
have one of the libraries set up as a frameowork, but I'm using some "ifeq"
statements to build it as a library on windows.  I *could* continue to do this,
but that doesn't seem really nice. ;)

The build dependencies have been cleaned up and everything builds in one pass
on Windows now (none of Nicola's changes in the makefiles from before are
present).  I will probably convert the framework I spoke of earlier back to a
library tonight and remove the ifeq stuff I added from the makefiles.

Please let me know what you think about the new layout.

--- Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks :-)
>
> We will try to support frameworks on all platforms (well, at least I
> will).  That might require quite nasty hacks and things, but should
> generally be possible (haven't looked into the Windows case yet though,
> but as OpenStep for Windows had it working with some hacks, I suppose we
> can do the same).
>
> If portability is an issue, I'd certainly recommend using libraries and
> bundles only.  So yes, I generally agree with your suggestion of avoiding
> frameworks in Gorm and all the core components (eg, gnustep-base,
> gnustep-gui etc).
>
> But frameworks are quite popular, so we're not going to drop them anytime
> soon, and I'll try supporting as many platforms as possible.

It would be cool to support them on Windows, even if it is a hack, there are a
number of programs which use them (for example ProjectCenter).  Also some of
the Backbone stuff and a few other apps I can think of.

> Thanks

Later, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.