Re: Core release, Wed

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Core release, Wed
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:35:56 +0100

On 2005-07-18 15:25:36 +0100 Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm mostly satisfied with the libraries now, which is to say, I don't really have any time to make any significant changes. So I'll plan on freezing the release this Wednesday. Unless there are any objections.

Well ...I have nothing very concrete but ... I'm dubious about the recent make packagechange to when the objc library is linked into things (the one which seems to have caused problems on bsd).

The reason I'm worried is that, on a couple of production machines I wanted to make local bugfix updates to part of my software, and (for no very good reason ... I just like to keep things up to date) I updated the make package on these machines before recompiling my patched code. Upon relinking I got a load of errors about undefined symbols from the runtime library ... but upon reverting to the earlier make package I was able to build without problems.

I haven't investigated in any depth ... partly lack of time, partly because I don't want to tinker too much with live production systems running customer-facing services. The linkage problems may well be something wrong in my makefiles which the make system was masking and is not masking any more, but it may be the case that the make package really should link every tool/app with -lobjc evn though it has already linked the base library with it, I'm just not sure - I find the rules about dynamic libraries confusing.