Re: Core release, Wed

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Core release, Wed
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:05:34 -0600

On Jul 20, 2005, at 6:14 AM, Nicola Pero wrote:

I believe the problem is that if you switch to the new -make package, you have to recompile everything from scratch (which I didn't, I reverted to
the old gnustep-make as you did). :-(

My understanding is that before the change, we linked a tool against
-lgnustep-base and -lobjc.  gnustep-base itself was not linked against
libobjc.

After the change, we now link a tool just against -lgnustep-base.
gnustep-base itself is now linked to libobjc.

So if your gnustep-base was built with the old gnustep-make, but you're
using the new gnustep-make to link a tool, libobjc is not linked into
gnustep-base (old building style), and will not be linked into the tool
(new building style), so you get undefined symbols because libobjc is
never linked.

Rebuilding only gnustep-base might be enough to fix the problem ... I'd
still rebuild everything just to be sure.

This makes upgrades a bit cumbersome as you have to upgrade everything,
but well that's why we're making a major release I suppose. ;-)

Well, I can revert the make part of the patch. It shouldn't be a problem to have lobjc linked multiple times.